Backend Software Engineer
Location: Waltham, MA (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
This position will be the lead back end API developer for a new platform to serve our ever increasing customer base. Architecture, design, and coding from idea to deployment will be required. This position will also provide technical support to our internal business units and customers as needed. The programming duties are primarily server side but full-stack web application experience is a plus.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and build enterprise REST API’s and services that perform various insurance operations
- Work with the product team to groom requirements and present scalable design’s to architects for approval and implement end to end solutions
- Provide product support, triage and resolve issues of high priority
- Support FE engineering by providing API’s they can interact with
- Take ownership of backend-end components and drive continual expansion, reuse, and improvement across the board
- Integrate with other back-end infrastructure, mostly cloud-based
- Analyze and solve problems across all levels of the stack
- Produce clean, secure, testable, maintainable, reusable, well-documented code, and participate in and drive regular code reviews
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
What We Need:
- 3-5 years of server-side development experience in Java/Kotlin, or similar languages (Python, .NET, Golang)
- Experience designing, building and documenting REST APIs with JAX-RS
- Experience working with and building with microservices architecture
- Experience with ORM frameworks (JPA, Hibernate, OpenJPA)
- Automated build platforms/continuous integration experience and knowledge (Bamboo, Jenkins, Hudson, Maven, Gradle)
- Knowledge of high-availability, high-performance, high-scalability web application development
- Able to jump into new or existing code bases & learn new technologies and skills quickly
- Experience refactoring existing code to improve readability, code reuse, performance, and maintainability
- Ability to communicate with business users to identify problems and offer creative solutions
- Experience working on high-performing teams and are accustomed to shipping code that is widely used and you can iterate to incorporate user feedback
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject or equivalent demonstrated experience
- You are passionate about coding
- You care equally about what should be done and how it should be done
- You know how to build an enterprise web application from scratch
- Focus on quality and simplicity
- Team player, strong communication skills, and empathetic
- You make things as simple as possible but not simpler
- You never stop improving
- Experience in complex business domains including financial services or insurance a plus
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.